Thursday, June 21, 2012

making that again: lunch

Eating out of the cottage cheese container while I stand at the sink just isn't working for me anymore.  This summer I have decided to get better about cooking{with heat} my lunch.  I ran across this recipe in Martha's Everyday Food magazine and it reminded me of a lunch I love to eat with my dad.  Teriyaki.  Specifically vegetable teriyaki from Pie Wei{a chain associated with P.F. Changs}.  When he visits, we always go there for our lunch without kids{they don't much like chinese food yet}.  In fact, my dad will get to Pei Wei at least another time during his stay-that man loves himself some veggies. 

Vegetable Fried Rice{Martha Stewart Everday Food}

1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 small carrot, thinly sliced
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup cooked rice, cold
1 cup baby spinach

Stir together soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. In a large nonstick skillet, or wok, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high.  Add egg and cook until set; transfer to a cutting board.  Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet.  Add carrot and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes.  Add scallion, ginger, and garlic and cook until scallion is soft, 2 minutes.  Add rice and cook, tossing, until warmed through, 2 minutes.  Add spinach and cook until wilted, 2 minutes.  Add soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes.  Coarsely chop egg and stir into rice.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Sounds so yummers. Do you think it would still be good without the egg? My newly vegan way of eating might have to try it... I think it would be OK.