Friday, June 1, 2012

what's for dinner


Well, we survived our first full week of summer!  I have to say, that if this weeks activities are any indication of the rest of summer vacation, I will have some tired but happy people on my hands.  Between basketball camp for Asher, a trip to the zoo, a sleep over, play dates, water balloon fights, four days of swimming and track practice, these boys have gone to bed exhausted.  Exhaustion is something I have strived for everyday since Holden was 18 months old!

With a busy schedule combined with a total aversion to the grocery store with three kids, I have been struggling to put dinner on the table.  I mean, I get something there, but it's boring food.  Boring food makes eating and cooking feel like even more of a chore.  SO, I have gotten a little more focused for the upcoming week and here what's for dinner...

spinach salad with chicken, strawberries, blue cheese, and almonds{Fine Cooking}

grilled shrimp and smokey grilled corn grits + steamed green beans{Southern Living}

burgers with blue cheese and caramelized onions +  grilled corn + salad{Fine Cooking}

grilled molasses flank steak{Southern Living} + tomato salad{Southern Living} + grandma gwens beans{Southern Living}

Have I ever told you how much I like Southern Living magazine?

I also want to try this peach mojito

and I have to share this wonderful peanut butter-banana icebox pie recipe{she even has a picture}.  I made it the other day to take to a friends lake house-it was way yummers!

And last but not least, my friend Kara shared a wonderfully addictive salsa recipe with me last night and I high tailed it to the store for the ingredients. I had it with tortilla chips, but it would be fabulous over a salad, over grilled fish and all sorts of other things.

I made a half recipe, so double all ingredients if you are taking it to a pot-luck

In a bowl mix together:

1 can of black beans {drained/rinsed}
1 can white corn {drained}
green onions
feta cheese

Dressing to be poured over{1/3-1/2 cup-I like less dressing}:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 apple cider vinegar
1/3 sugar
salt and pepper
garlic if you like{I didn't add that}


Enjoy!

No comments: