Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Happy New Year! I am proud(?) to say my husband went out tonight looking like this. Blue leisure suit, cowboy boots, and the best part-my Junior High Cheerleading Squad portrait t-shirt. OH MY! He is feeling pretty sexy. I certainly don't have to worry about him getting ANY attention at the bars tonight. And the leisure suit isn't the only reason why. Todd and his other college buddies stuck in their adolescences not only dress like this, show up to all the DM hot spots on a party bus they have been doing beer bongs on(remember those-funnels and a tube), but then they proceed to let off stink bombs(yes-I said stink bombs) and laugh hysterically at every one else's expense. They dance with groups of single women on the dance floor and top the night off with Barry Manilow karaoke(they all have routines). Last year I witnessed this madness and that is why I am home right now, ready to pop in a movie and actually enjoy myself. Todd is sure to have a wonderful night. He'll be home at 3:00am to tell me about it. He'll come home(don't worry he always takes a cab), he'll have to call me from the front yard because he has forgotten the garage code, he will sneak in the door giggling to himself about all the nights shananigans, snuggle up into bed, start telling me about all the pranks and people they pissed off, and then fall asleep in 2.2 seconds. I, on the other hand, will spend the rest of the night awake thanks to awesome pregnancy insomnia.
I am glad Todd has so much fun with his buddies. This whacked out night is the equivalent to my nights out with girlfriends drinking wine, talking hair and clothes, with a big piece of chocolate cake at the end(needs to happen more!). I will ultimately get the last laugh when I send the kids in to wake him up around 9:30am. He will be suffering for days I am sure.
So Happy New Years everyone. I hope you are spending the evening exactly where you want to be just like me :)
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
-After getting off the phone with my friend Corie today, Holden asked me how she was. I said she was good and getting ready to have her baby in a few weeks. We have been talking a lot about babies lately. I try to tell him honestly how they are born(not made) and that kind of stuff. I thought he was beginning to understand until later in our conversation about Corie. I said something about scheduling the babies delivery and he replied in a very surprised voice-YOU MEAN THEY COME IN A BOX!?
-The kids have heard me talking a lot lately about wanting a Wii for Christmas(Todd thinks it's crazy and refuses to get it). the following conversation is one Holden had with one of the neighbors.
Kristen: Holden are you ready for Christmas?
Kristen: What's your mom asking for this year from Santa?
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
Thursday, November 20, 2008
I would love to cover every surface in my house with modge podge glue-I love it that much :)
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Friday, November 7, 2008
(from Ali Edwards blog)
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Saturday, October 11, 2008
this room has major work yet to be done. How long do you think it will take me to get something for all these ridiculous shelves. Good Lord people-I check books out from the library-what the heck am I going to put there. The walls are still waiting for paint, the ceiling fan needs an update, as does the fireplace. The list goes on and on, BUT I love my barns.
It just wouldn't be Fall without mums on the front porch. It is starting to look like a virtual pumpkin patch at our house. I have had to scatter them throughout our landscaping because there is no more room on the porch. Holden came home this afternoon with another. I am going to be one tired mama come carving time.
So I am making a few little things for this MOMS deal on Wednesday. I am crazy for white pumpkins. And I don't need to explain my obsession with tags-you're all well aware :) I glittered a pumpkin(Martha Stewart's line at Michaels has beautiful glitter) and have wrapped the forks and knives. These MOMS chicks don't know me that well. Chances are they will go home thinking I'm a little freaky. I'm not freaky, I'm just have a thing for paper.
Friday, October 10, 2008
I actually had a hard time just picking one favorite.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
A great place to have my computer because I can see out the front windows when the kids are outside. Love the white buffet from the Brass Armadillo-love the Armadillo!
Red chest that I got when mom last visited-my signature piece :)
This is the fabric that I fell in love with several months ago. Mom just sent the skirt she made for my bench in the family room-adorable. Thanks mom!!
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Monday, September 8, 2008
- She came to visit because I have kids and it is hard for me to get on an airplane
- She tried really hard to just smile in this picture even though it is totally against her nature(ever since I can remember she has always made silly faces for the camera. Proof-check out the next photo)
- She always brings me outcasts from her closet that become the best treasures in mine
- She sends me her movie rental list before she arrives
- Sitting around the county club pool feels totally natural in her presence, in fact a cabana boy would not make the moment strange at all-we deserve to be fanned.
- A strong drink, good nibbles and conversation is always a fantastic time.
- She's girly. She always has time for hair talk.
- She talks about raiding the fridge for left over pizza before bed.
- She loves my kids and dog even when they are annoying
- She is always incredibly generous, especially with her words.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
- It is always my husband who starts the basket wheelies at the grocery store
- Todd's place at the table is as dirty as Asher's
- the rev of any engine(even from a mini van) gets cheers and chants for more
- "poopie" is their favorite descriptive word
- the toy section at Target is destroyed after Holden and Asher walk the isles, but even worse when Todd is with them
- there is no such thing as watering the grass, it is just a ploy to start a water fight
- Their need to win, travel at top speed(on a big wheel, car, motorcycle, truck, office chair with wheels-what have you)make you laugh, and gross you out is how they gage whether or not it was a great day.
so my pediatrician was right, I do understand my husband better now that I have boys. It is all basic, primal stuff I wake up to every morning. Four boys(including my bossy dog) are all looking at me as I climb out of bed to face my day. Sometimes I'm not certain I will survive this(day, year, boys in general),it's guaranteed I will be exhausted, but undoubtedly entertained. As the toys whizz by my head, I am tackled to the floor and karate chopped at the knees, I am so glad that they are amazing boys(big and little) and forever grateful that I am a girl!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
20 years ago:1988
I was getting ready to start my freshman year of high school. I remember being very nervous. what to wear, how was I going to find my way around such a huge school. That summer I had met a whole new bunch girls that had gone to the junior high across town. To say the least, they had led a less sheltered life. We were hanging out at Hardees at night(the place to meet the who's who of school), going to movies(Kyrie and I vowed to leave each other our children when we had them after watching Bette Midler in Beaches) and hanging out at the pool every stinkin' day(what a life). Freshman year ended up being a complete and udder struggle for me. I was much more interested in my social life than my school work. I had a serious boyfriend which only distracted me and there was always lots of drama. Let me just say this. In no way shape or form would I want to go back to those days. I was having fun no doubt about it, but most of the time I was struggling to keep it all together.
10 years: 1998
I had moved to Seattle on a total whim, feeling very independent and fancy free. the city was amazing and I was loving everything it had to offer. I was working for an Endodontist down town and living in a big house with several other roommates on Queen Ann Hill. I rode the bus to work, walked through Pike's Place Market over my lunch hour, and probably worked out every night. I spent countless hours walking. To the coffee shop, to the most amazing grocery stores, to the bar for a beer. My Saturday morning ritual was so completely self serving(I seem to only remember Saturday mornings with kids) I woke up(10:00?) I went for a coffee, picked up some fresh flowers, a little pastry. By noon I was ready to hit my favorite dress shop, to browse the sale rack of course, and then it was whatever else came along that day. My sister and her husband lived only three hours away and I remember feeling very happy to have family so close. My niece was one or two years old at the time and it was time with her that I truly cherished.
5 years ago:2003
Todd and I had been married for three years and we had recently bought our first house in West Des Moines. I hadn't really intended on moving back to DM but had fallen head over heals in love with Todd(we met the first time when we were 13)I was eight months pregnant and we were anxiously awaiting the arrival of Holden Matthew. Todd was in sales for Housby and unfortunately starting to feel very unhappy with his job. I was working in a great dental office with my very best friend Becca, and looking forward to going part time when Holden was born.
3 years ago: 2005
Living in Cincinnati for about a year. Todd had taken a job with WorldWide as their Sales Manager and he was loving it. He was working a lot(which he secretly loves) and I was still adjusting to a new city, a new job-full time stay at home mom, and I was weeks away from having Asher Joseph. I had met some awesome moms and they were truly my saving grace. I was busy finding balance as a mom and wife, while trying to maintain some Sarah time. I was religious about the gym and playgroup! In just weeks I would experience the most overwhelming yet exhilarating experience of my life-being a mom to two little boys.
Back in Des Moines. Todd working for Housby again, but this time as Sales Director for Vocon(heavy equipment auction house). Just moved into our new house after living in a rental for over 8 months. Holden is getting ready to turn 5 in the fall and will have another yer of preschool. Asher will be 3 shortly and I am looking forward to snuggling with him all winter long while we are at home together. I will surely be unpacking for another 6 months(ugg) and for the moment I am just enjoying our new neighborhood and new friends that we all have made.
Went to the gym in the morning. the boys played outside with their friends. Wrote out bills, balanced checkbook, scheduled appointments, finished book, ran a few errands without killing my children in the store :) Watched E! news and the opening monologue of Chelsey Lately(my favorite show)and finally went to bed before 11:00pm-didn't sleep very well, need to see the Chiropractor.
Have appointment with upholstery guy, put debating on removing skirt from our new chair. Working out at some point is a must. Boys are going over to Grammy's house at 3 so I can run to the mall without them! Hopefully finding a pair of jeans that doesn't make me look like I just came out of the junior department(could they get any lower?).
Todd will most likely be traveling and loving his job even more. Holden will be getting ready to start kindergarten-can I get an amen! Asher will be starting preschool. We hopefully will have spent another summer doing what we do best-playing. I will hopefully be on my way to learning something new-knitting, quilting etc..and will have done some scrapbooking(maybe this will be the year?) I honestly have to say that I hope we are well on our way to having #3, although my husband isn't fully on board, lets hope he hops on the baby train :) Regardless, I know that next year and every year to follow we will love each other even more than the day before, and praise God for all he has entrusted to us.
Sunday, August 10, 2008
- Holden is riding his bike without training wheels. He has turned into a total dare devil which is scary to watch, but I am so pleased to see his new found confidence.
- Asher and I started to plan his third birthday party. The park shelter has been reserved and his favorite part so far is the van cake tin we just received from ebay. Wish me luck on the decorating.
- I finally found a chair for my living room. We went to a furniture store in Boone(a small town about 30 minutes away) and the chair was like on clearance and then some. I was giddy. I think the original price tag said 999.00(ridiculous) and the sale price was 179.00-hip hip hooray! it needs a little tweaking-the tailored skirt MUST be removed-but for that price I can do tweaking.
- Todd finished the main floor bathroom for me. He hung the new light fixture, put the cabinet back together(I painted them white)and put the nobs on. I just have to paint the molding to go around the mirror.
- We had a chance to have dinner with Grammy and PaPa on Wednesday. We celebrated Grandpa Frank's birthday at the Tavern on Thursday. And on Friday we visited Becca and the boys in Stuart.
- We made it to church on time. This never happens. We are the worst at getting out the door. My usual idea of "on time" is pulling out of the drive way at the time I am supposed to be arriving. It has been an impossible habit to break. But this morning we were actually early and we didn't have to kill each other doing it.