Tuesday, June 29, 2010

a better marinade

I have a thing against store bought marinade.  I look in that isle of the grocery store often and when I see those bottles of colorful mixes all I see is preservatives and sodium, so I don't buy them(oh, and I'm cheap so I use what I already have at home). Instead I use this tasty simple little marinade in the summer(it's nice and light) on any kind of meat.

I am not an exact measurer so go with on this(I know that drives you crazy Becca)

2 cloves crushed garlic
 mushed together with coarse salt
Olive oil(enough to just cover the bottom of the dish)
Several dashes of soy sauce
Juice of half a lemon
A couple rosemary sprigs(any herb or combination of herbs will do-I like rosemary the best-but get creative)
A little more salt
Fresh ground pepper
Whisk it all together in the bottom of the dish, marinate meat as long as you wish, turning often. 


(Mom, the above picture is from a magazine-I love you)

Along with the chicken the other night I also made this recipe from Martha's cooking magazine.  I did not have a chance to get a picture, but it was really yummy and Sloan was crazy for it, although that may not be saying much as he has yet to meet food he doesn't like.  My hard to please(Todd and Asher) liked it too.
 
 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Zucchini or summer squash, quartered and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 Package(15-16 ounces) frozen gnocchi
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
2 tablespoons butter

In a large skillet, heat oil over med-high. Add squash and garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is crisp and tender, 4to5 minutes.  Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until juicy, about 2 minutes
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook gnocchi according to package instructions.  Reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid, drain gnocchi and transfer to skillet.  Toss gnocchi, adding enough cooking liquid to create a sauce.  Remove from heat and stir in basil, cheese, butter, and lemon juice.
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice



2 comments:

Lisa Van Ahn said...

May I say, it is so nice to have you back in the blog-o-sphere but will be missing you this weekend. Matt and I are headed to Panorama...sure we would have seen you too, if you were still in the area.

(tho Trucker is probably happy to be gone, Cleo is coming with us this weekend, and Matt can speak of nothing else than his excitement to have Cleo with us. To be honest, I think it matters less that I am coming than his cat) :)

Murillo Family said...

I think you are right about the marinades, homemade is ALWAYS better, plus you get to use some stuff up, looks yummy!!