Tuesday, November 6, 2012

let them eat kale!

 
 Martha Stewart...she's a good thing{see yesterday's post}.  That woman knows how to do some stuff and I love her.  I love her even if in real life I would hate her and she'd be all snotty and stuck up and all type-A when I met her, she has still brought great things into my life.  She has pretty much been the one who taught me to cook, and she no doubt was the one who inspired me to bake.  I have a looong way to go, but this "Martha" isn't giving up anytime soon.
 
Now, with that said, I think she is holding this recipe hostage.  I usually have no problems finding recipes on the Internet to link up to.  I can't find this one, even though it was just published in this months Everyday Food.  I'm lazy people. I don't like to type out recipes. I must really love you.
 
 
Sweet Potato-Sausage Soup{Martha Stewart Everyday Food/November 2012}
 
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced large
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
3/4 pound sweet sausage, casings removed
2 sweet potatoes{1 pound total}, peeled and diced medium
4 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup small pasta{I used ditalini}
 4 cups roughly chopped mixed greens, such as kale and swiss chard{I just used kale}
grated parmesan for serving
 
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium high.  Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes, season with salt and pepper.  Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until browned about 5 minutes.
 
2. Add sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. *see note*Add pasta and cook 3 minutes less than package instructions. Reduce to a simmer, add greens, and cook until pasta is tender and greens are wilted. 4 minutes. Serve with parmesan.
 
 
*note*the recipe says to cook the pasta in the soup, but it is my experience that pasta gets super gross when you do this-it soaks up all the broth, triples in size and gets way too mushy, unless you are serving immediately.  I've decided to cook the pasta separately and add it before serving. The pasta stays firm, the soup remains soupy and left-overs are much better.

enjoy!
 

1 comment:

Becca said...

Yum and thank you for typing out the recipe because I'm so going to make this!!!

xoxo